Chocolate Chickpea Cookies (Makes 10)
I was very sceptical of putting chickpeas anywhere near my cookies at first, but after some convincing from friends I tried this recipe, and I have no regrets! Chickpeas add extra fibre, protein and low GI carbohydrates, making this a great post-pole snack.
425g tinned chickpeas
1 tbsp chia seeds
2 tbsp water
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp baking powder
1 – 2 tablespoon honey, maple syrup or sugar.
1 tbsp cocoa
1/2 cup chocolate (dark choc chips; dark choc melts, roughly chopped; or even your favourite block chocolate roughly chopped)
1. Preheat oven to 180°C
2. Combine chia seeds with water and leave to thicken for 5 mins
3. Drain chickpeas and rub dry with a clean tea towel or press with paper towel
4. Place all ingredients (except for chocolate) in a food processor
5. Process for 20 seconds or until smooth
6. Stir in chocolate
7. On a lined baking tray, place tablespoons of mixture and flatten slightly
8. Cook for 30 minutes
Don’t knock this sweet treat till you try it!